Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Creating Asphalt



Hello guys this is yet again another tutorial this one is to enhance and add detail to you're dioramas, Im currently working on a dio for my Mech Arts Concept Mecha
I wanted a way to create an asphalt rode in the middle of the desert.
I then went hunting online to find a way to achive this all I found was ways to paint it for a realistic look, I didn't give up so after experimenting I came up with this method. Its similar to Don's sand and glue method for adding ground texture.

Anyways are the Ingredients.


  1. Sand 
  2. Enamel Latex Paint 
  3. Cup to mix 
  4. Popsicle stix
Step one

Mix the sand with the paint I did a 2 part sand and 1 part paint so I could get a thick consistency


Step two

Now go ahead and apply to your base make sure its a strong base and if its a frame strengthen the base and mask the outer frame because this is messy.
Apply freely and fill the area you wish to cover after that is done go ahead and flatten the mixture with a piece of cardboard to get a nice slab of your asphalt.



Now if u used fine sand u wont get the imperfections I have in the pic above you'll get a smoother texture with fine sand, in this case I used sand around my backyard this gave me a rough texture and imperfections of a neglected road over the years with pot wholes, cracks and missing asphalt.
I like this method because the latex in the paint keeps everything together and it really looks like asphalt and if you use gloss paint it looks like tar blots if you look closely. I'll try to get some better pics with the sand in place.

Hope this helps build some interesting dioramas

Thanks for viewing till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment